Import option values in global lists

Ask your questions here.
odraregmx
Name: Gerardo Alvarez
Company Name: Fuga Espacio Alternativo

Import option values in global lists

Post by odraregmx »

Hi everyone, hope you all doing fine

Does anyone knows if its possible to import data and value in to the global list?
I have tried with selecting colum 2 but it imports like dependant option and not value
Excel file with options and values
Excel file with options and values
01.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Import screen with column 2 selected
Import screen with column 2 selected
02.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Import data like sub options
Import data like sub options
Also have tried to set a global list with options and values and export it to have the file as a template, but it only export the options not the values
Global list with options and values
Global list with options and values
Export file
Export file
05.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Only the options are exported
Only the options are exported
06.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 91 times
I appreciate your help with this
Paullm
Name: Paul M.

Re: Import option values in global lists

Post by Paullm »

It is not possible to import external data into a Global list. Global lists can be handy, but I don't use them.

I actually just use my own separate master lookup table that is segmented by a Type field ... one Type value for each set of lookups ... e.g. "COUNTRY" (country code), "STATUS", "PAYMODE" (payment method), NAMEPREF (Mr., Ms., Miss, Sr., Sra., etc.), and so on.

This then gives me the ability to add additional fields to each lookup value, if needed. As an example, for my country lookup list, I also have additional data ... such as a Zone (to group different countries into groups), an ISD Prefix (+1 for US, +44 for UK, etc.), and so on.

By also adding a sequence field, I can then easily change the sequence in which the values appear in the dropdown. So, if most of the addresses in my address table are Canadian, I might want to show "Canada" as the first entry in the drop-down, then maybe followed by "USA", etc.

When you are setting up new fields to be dropdown lists, Ruko gives you the ability to filter the items to be shown in the dropdown ... so for Country, I would limit the drop down entries to those that are Type="COUNTRY".

I can easily import and export data to/from my master lookup table.

Again, Global Lists can be handy, but they do lack flexibility in how you can use them, which is why I don't use them.
odraregmx
Name: Gerardo Alvarez
Company Name: Fuga Espacio Alternativo

Re: Import option values in global lists

Post by odraregmx »

Hi Paul!
Thanks for your explanation. I understand your point and will try to avoid them when its possible
Have a nice day